[meteorite-list] Tackling The Mysterious Portales Valley

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:32 2004

Hello Mark,

Glad you found my Portales Valley page, I have been adding to it ever
since it was first published. In fact, looking in the NASA ADS
Abstracts, there are dozens of published papers about Portales.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html

Of course if you don't already have Acrobat Reader, you will need to
download this free program to be able to read .pdf files, which all of
these are saved as.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html

>From the ADS Abstract page, just type inside the text box, Portales
Valley, and click Send Query. Then click on the full articles whenever
possible.

What I consider the most interesting fact about Portales is not that
it's an impact breccia, but that the large metal veins are from a
different, earlier iron impactor, a IAB iron, in contrast to the smaller
IIE-type veins.

Let us know what you learn.

David