[meteorite-list] Re: Spanish Meteorite?

From: Herbert Raab <herbert.raab_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:33 2004

Hello List,

Walter Branch writes:
> I have an astronomy textbook (Voyages Through the Universe,
> Fraknoi, Morrison, and Wolf, 1997) in which a meteorite is
> reported to have struck a car and the driver.
> Did the curator verify the date, June, 1999?

The really interesting question is this: How can a astronomy
textbook from 1997 report on a meteorite fall from June 1999...?

So I think that the book refers to the controversial event of
June 21, 1994, when a 1.4kg stone hit a car that was driving
down the road from Madrid to Marbella. However, many more small
stones of the same type were found around the impact site, and
these stones have later been identified as a piece of slag.
There were some reports on that in Sky & Telescope in 1994/95.

Best greetings,
  Herbert