[meteorite-list] Chondrites and Widmannstätten Pattern

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:34 2004

Mark Fox wrote::

> The authors made a statement that seemed to imply
> (at least to me) that there were other chondrites with
> Widmannstatten patterns. The question is simply "Is
> there?"

Hello Mark and Portales Valloids :-)

As far as I know, there isn't - see below:

SEPP B. et al. (2001) Low-temperature phase decom-
position in iron-nickel metal of the Portales Valley
meteorite (MAPS 36-5, 2001, pp. 587-595, excerpt):

The metals show a Widmanstätten structure, which
has been seen for the f i r s t t i m e in an
ordinary chondrite. In addition to the highly
recrystallized texture, this characteristic also
indicates slow cooling.

Cheers,

Bernd

P.S.: Temperatures were about 95-100°F today. Phew!!!