[meteorite-list] Odessa Meteor Crater...

From: Michael Casper <Michael_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:34 2004

It came from outer space

By Ian Heald
Odessa American

The Odessa Meteor Crater Visitor Center is open for business.
Construction on the $500,000 state-funded center began last summer. The
5,000-square-foot building is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through
Saturday and from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sundays. It is closed Mondays.
Tom Rodman, an Odessa attorney and meteor crater aficionado, said daily
attendance at the crater is expected to double from 15 to 30 people per day
with the addition of the visitor center.
The center is located on Meteor Crater Road, southwest of West Loop 338 and
Interstate 20.
"It will increase attendance dramatically," Rodman said. "Attendance will
also be helped by the new interchange where you can get directly off
Interstate 20 to the Meteor Crater Road at exit 108."
Don Bonifay, county public works director, said the county plans to have a
grand opening of the center in the near future, maybe even later this month.
The county was waiting for access to Meteor Crater Road from Interstate 20.
That access became available this week.
Before this week, I-20 travelers were prevented from accessing Meteor Crater
Road because there wasn't a vehicle crossing over the tracks. On Monday, the
Texas Department. of Transportation completed building an asphalt ramp over
the Union Pacific Railroad tracks.
Now, any visitors passing through Odessa will have easy access to the
center, Rodman said.
And after making the trip down Meteor Crater Road, visitors to the center
will have plenty to look at, Rodman said. In addition to the actual crater,
which is just south of the center, the center has on display numerous
meteorites, desert glass, shattered meteorites and tektites from around the
world. The center also shows a video with information about meteor craters.
The visitor center was originally scheduled to open last August.
Construction was delayed early last summer because the county hadn't
submitted all the required paperwork for a $500,000 grant to Texas Parks and
Wildlife, said Tim Hogsett, director of recreational grants for TPW.
"We waited for some time for the county to give us the information we needed
for the contract," Hogsett said at the time. "We have since done that. Now,
everything is progressing satisfactorily."
Some of the paperwork that slowed down the project included copies of the
deed to prove that the county owned the land and written proof that
construction of the visitor center would not disrupt any utility lines.