[meteorite-list] re: Willendorf figurine and moldavites

From: marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:35 2004

> I had heard mention in a couple places that the Venus of Willendorf was
> actually discovered in a cache with several Moldavite points. Was there any
> information on this, or can anyone add anything?
>
> Regards from sunny Alaska! : )
> Jeannie Devon

Hi Jeannie,

At least the figurine and the moldavite artefacts are from the same level in
the site: level 9 (the 'Upper level') and thus contemporary in a broad sense.
Whether they really were found in close context with each other, I don't know.
As far as I know, not too much of the exact context of the figurine is actually
known.

By the way, not to disappoint anyone: but the figurine on display in the
museum, is actually a copy. The real one is kept in a safe.

- Marco