[meteorite-list] Fw: Im home, fires

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:35 2004

--=====================_2599370==_.ALT

For those of you that are interested in the Arizona fires, there are some
interesting stories coming out of the area telling of local folks defying
the evacuation notices and staying behind to protest their own homes.

My parents used to have a house in Heber up until my dad died in 1986. Even
though I didn't grow up there, it was a gathering place during the summer
and holidays for the entire family. My mother sold her home to her best
friend and her husband and still stays in touch with them and other old
friends in the area. This story came from one of the families in Heber
yesterday morning.

  The canyon where my folks house is located is quite open and flat but is
full of waist-high dried grass. Many of the men from that neighborhood
decided they would not evacuate but decided to stay and work to save their
homes after sending their families off to safety. These are homes that were
built bit by bit as money became available and every one of them were built
by the hands of the people that live in them. I personally know a bunch of
these guys and I'm proud to say I applaud their gallant pioneer attitude
and courage. They gathered together what equipment they could get and cut
and dug their own fire break a hundred yards or so south of my mothers old
home. Working around the clock, they were able to finish the fire break
before the flames arrived. The fire stopped at this break built by the
locals and most, if not all of the homes in the immediate area were safe.

No one has seen a spotted owl in the last 10 days.

Best to All,

John

At 11:36 PM 6/25/02 -0700, Michael Farmer wrote:

>Just to let everyone know, I have arrived back home tonight from Europe.
>The fires in Arizona are more devistating than anything i've ever seen, I
>only have what I saw on the news and internet, but I know the area and
>know what has burned, it is terrible, basically everything I knew as a kid
>is gone, most of the houses in Pinedale, my small town are gone, Heber was
>almost totally gutted. Many of my friends have lost homes, and my
>childhood home burned. I will try to get up there and see what is left.
>Mike Farmer
>More info on the shows in Europe tomorrow.

--=====================_2599370==_.ALT

For those of you that are interested in the Arizona fires, there are some
interesting stories coming out of the area telling of local folks defying
the evacuation notices and staying behind to protest their own
homes.<br>
My parents used to have a house in Heber up until my dad died in 1986.
Even though I didn't grow up there, it was a gathering place&nbsp; during
the summer and holidays for the entire family. My mother sold her home to
her best friend and her husband and still stays in touch with them and
other old friends in the area. This story came from one of the families
in Heber yesterday morning.<br>
&nbsp;The canyon where my folks house is located is quite open and flat
but is full of waist-high dried grass. Many of the men from that
neighborhood decided they would not evacuate but decided to stay and work
to save their homes after sending their families off to safety. These are
homes that were built bit by bit as money became available and every one
of them were built by the hands of the people that live in them. I
personally know a bunch of these guys and I'm proud to say I applaud
their gallant pioneer attitude and courage.&nbsp; They gathered together
what equipment they could get and&nbsp; cut and dug their own fire break
a hundred yards or so south of my mothers old home.&nbsp; Working around
the clock, they were able to finish the fire break before the flames
arrived.&nbsp; The fire stopped at this break built by the locals and
most, if not all of the homes in the immediate area were safe.<br>
No one has seen a spotted owl in the last 10 days.<br>
Best to All,<br>
John<br>
At 11:36 PM 6/25/02 -0700, Michael Farmer wrote:<br>
know, I have arrived back home tonight from Europe. The fires in Arizona
are more devistating than anything i've ever seen, I only have what I saw
on the news and internet, but I know the area and know what has burned,
it is terrible, basically everything I knew as a kid is gone, most of the
houses in Pinedale, my small town are gone, Heber was almost totally
gutted. Many of my friends have lost homes, and my childhood home burned.
I will try to get up there and see what is left. </font><br>
Mike Farmer<br>
More info on the shows in Europe tomorrow. <br>
&nbsp;</blockquote></html>