[meteorite-list] Meteor Colours!

From: Jeff Kuyken <jeff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:36 2004

G'day List,

I was a little curious if there is any knowledge of meteorite falls being
documented as to what colour the meteor falling was, and the later
classification. Has there ever been any determination for example that an
iron will flame a different colour to a H-Chondrite or a Eucrite etc? If I
remember correctly from science class, different metals and materials will
burn a different colour when held over a Bunsen burner. Just from my own
personal observations, I have seen meteors that are blue, white, red,
yellow, orange and green. I am sure there are many people on this list who
could answer these questions. I don't remember anyone else mentioning this
topic before, so apologies if I'm going over old ground.

Thanks,

Jeff Kuyken
I.M.C.A. #3085
www.meteoritesaustralia.com

(P.S. - Colour is spelt with a 'u' in Australia! I can spell. Most of the
time anyway.)