[meteorite-list] Ebay prices.

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:01:36 2004

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C21FB1.F7C43A60

Mike and list,
I will have to tend to agree with you and then say that you must be =
patient as with everything else in the world it will come full circle =
again. Hip huggers are in again...they were a big item when I was a kid =
in the 60's...funny thing is that the kids wearing them now think they =
thought them up.

My wife and I make our living exclusively on Ebay. When we started 2 =
years ago lots of things we sold brought high prices...for example hand =
painted china. Now everyone is selling the crap and unless you find the =
right item or a rare item, maker or painter, you will not get what it is =
worth.=20

Most recently in the last six months we began selling oriental Famille =
Rose and Canton Rose Porcelain items. When we first found them here in =
Phoenix at auctions and estate sales no one would buy the stuff, we made =
a killing buying it at $2.00 - $5.00 a piece and selling some of it for =
hundreds of dollars. NOW everyone is bidding the items up at auctions =
and running to get it at estate sales and if you look on Ebay there is a =
ton of it and it is not selling for anywhere near what it used too. We =
recently went to an auction where CHEAP reproduction Crap sold for way =
too much and the REAL McCoys barely sold. We bought the real stuff and =
listed a couple of pieces and barely got what it was worth. So we have =
boxed the rest of it for the future.

My point is that in a year or two the ones that are selling meteorites =
that are doing the one cent starting prices will get tired of the whole =
deal, the ones that deciced the could get rich will realize they thought =
of it too late and they too will fall by the wayside. Then the dealers =
like you will be able to once again make some money at it. You are ahead =
of the curve and still use Ebay as we do...to draw buyers to our =
website.

One more thing. Tomorrow 6/30/02 the new USPS postal rates go into =
effect. Now packages from 1-5 pounds are priced in a zoned by weight and =
distance price structure. This is going to have a huge ripple effect on =
Ebay. Most bidders are not even aware of it. An item that once cost =
$3.50 to send from AZ to east cost could now cost up to $6.00, and that =
is not including the insurance that now starts at $1.30 Sellers that are =
not smart enough and quick enough to adapt will lose money, and bidders =
are going to suffer MAJOR sticker shock when they get their shipping =
costs. It will not have such a big effect on the small items and =
meteorites that sell, but it will slow down the larger items, meteorites =
included.

So just as all things in this world, I believe the ones with the smarts =
and patience will always be the ones in business. The cycles that effect =
everything will too affect Ebay and in a year or two meteorites will =
once again be a good thing to sell.=20

My thoughts from my world.

Mark M.

  ----- Original Message -----=20