[meteorite-list] Field Museum

From: Space Rocks <spacerox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:24 2004

--------------7C9642EFCC13CE2E45A5177A

Yup it really sucks. The large case at the end of the stairs with about
10 specimens is nice but you have to know it is there. The other
displays, next to the "Sue" display, are a hodge podge of old displays
that have not changed in 15 years. At least they are no longer at the
end of the dark old Earth Sciences (huh?) hall. You can really tell
their priorities are dino bones and not meteorites. Really sad
considering what a world renowned collection they have (had?). Someone
really needs to redo their display with a fresh look at it.

Rick

Jamie Ekholm wrote:

> I was at the Chicago Field Museum a few weeks back. I really wanted
> to take a look at their meteorite collection. I have to say I was
> left asking "is that it?" Although they had a few interesting ones out
> for display (Zagami, Lafayette etc), it just seems like there should
> have been more to it. They had two different sites on the same floor
> where they displayed them, but for a major museum, I felt
> disappointed. Has anyone else on the list been there (and I am
> assuming many have) and if so, what did you think? Jamie

--------------7C9642EFCC13CE2E45A5177A

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
Yup it really sucks.&nbsp; The large case at the end of the stairs with
about 10 specimens is nice but you have to know it is there.&nbsp; The
other displays, next to the "Sue" display, are a hodge podge of old displays
that have not changed in 15 years.&nbsp; At least they are no longer at
the end of the dark old Earth Sciences (huh?) hall.&nbsp; You can really
tell their priorities are dino bones and not meteorites.&nbsp; Really sad
considering what a world renowned collection they have (had?).&nbsp; Someone
really needs to redo their display with a fresh look at it.

<P>Rick

<P>Jamie Ekholm wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<STYLE></STYLE>
<FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE=-1>I
was at the Chicago Field Museum a few weeks back.&nbsp; I really wanted
to take a look at their meteorite collection.&nbsp; I have to say I was
left asking "is that it?"</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;<FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE=-1>Although
they had a few interesting ones out for display (Zagami, Lafayette etc),
it just seems like there should have been more to it.&nbsp;&nbsp; They
had two different sites on the same floor where they displayed them, but
for a major museum, I felt disappointed.</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;<FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE=-1>Has
anyone else on the list been there (and I am assuming many have) and if
so, what did you think?</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;<FONT FACE="Arial"><FONT SIZE=-1>Jamie</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>