[meteorite-list] Re: Kitchen Comet Cows

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:25 2004

Hi All,

As I recall, the Galileo spacecraft finally detected life on earth during a
swing by. It was quite difficult, but eventually, it was deduced that the
rather high level of methane on the planet detected by the spacecraft was
due to biotic processes and most likely an impossibly high level for regular
geologic processes.

Also, I remember recently reading a story where a professor (MIT I believe)
spoke that we should assume that other intelligent life in the universe
already knows about us. Why? Because we are on the verge of having the
ability to detect such life-chemical signatures on planets circling other
stars. Therefore, if we will soon be able to do it, that others out there
already can.

On another note, part of a NASA/JPL public education outreach effort to
which I belong has brought me in intimate contact with much of the education
materials I made reference (and links) to in prior posts. If anyone has
particular education-related questions, or is looking for specific
activities or topics, please email me off-list and I will do my best to
help.

Cheers,

Martin
martinh_at_isu.edu