[meteorite-list] Nutcase Relativity

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:26 2004

I believe the thing that differentiates Hoagland from Lowell in relative
nutjobbedness is that Lowell made scores of observations of his "canals",
but I don't believe that he then went on to propose an entire civilization
a la Edgar Rice Burroughs, complete with princesses and thoats. Hoagland
is taking one areological anomaly (the "face") and then using that to spin
any other curious surface feature into evidence of alien intervention.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" and
"All other things being equal, the simplest explanation is the preferred
explanation" and
"Unless you got the license plate number, I'm not interested in reports of
flying saucers" (with apologies to Sir Arthur C. Clarke)

Tracy Latimer