[meteorite-list] Winona / Canyon Diablo connection

From: John Gwilliam <jkgdiver_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:27 2004

Rhett and List,

Winona wasn't the only meteorite interred by the ancient natives. The
2183kg Navajo iron was found buried in talus with Indian beads. Iron was a
highly desired material for making tools from. Compared to rocks, iron
must have been really "space age" material to them.

There are several iron meteorites here in Arizona that have received
separate names even though V.F. Buchwald considered many of them to be
fragments of Canyon Diablo that were transported. For those of you that
have a copy of Arizona State Universities Catalog of Meteorites, you can
read the notations on some of these irons.

It's quite possible that many fragments of Canyon Diablo were carried by
the pre-historic Indians to a lot different locations. Trading was a
common practice among the different tribes in the Southwest, so if the
Winona meteorite is found to be similar to Canyon Diablo shale, isn't it a
possibility that it was also a transported item?

Regards,

John Gwilliam