[meteorite-list] a little collector advice........

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:27 2004

Is anyone else here into electronic gadgets or computers? I know I really
am. When I have people over to my house for the first time they're usually
more impressed that stuff than my meteorite, fossil, or artifact collection.
Never mind the fact that I have moon rocks, Mars rocks, dinosaur bones,
fossils that are hundreds of millions of years old that I found myself,
Egyptian scarabs, or a piece of the Titanic brought up from the bottom of
the ocean, they always love my gadgets and quite frankly, unless you're
interested in scientific things I don't blame them. I don't buy as much
stuff as I did before I started collecting meteorites (when you only have a
limited budget for stuff you don't need you prioritize). What I do know
though is that when new technology comes out it costs more. When DVD
players first came out the cheapest, most bare bones modle was $500 and that
was only if you could find them. I was ecstatic when months later I was
able to get an open-box, close-out model for $240. Now you can go to
Walmart and get one for around $100 that is better quality and can do more
than the original ones that cost $500 could. Why am I talking about this
stuff? To prove a point. When there are limited numbers of something
available or something new it costs more. CR2's used to be so expensive
because they were of very limited numbers and all the insane type collectors
(self included) just had to have them despite the costs. Now that there are
a lot of them the prices have gone down.
If you want to buy this new meteorite at $15 a gram without knowing the
classification because its something new and you have to be the first on
your block to own one then go for it. To me, unless your sole reason in
being into meteorites is to make money that's one thing (I know there are a
handful of people who do that) but most of us do it as a hobby or a side way
to make a little extra cash (that would be my area) quite whining about
prices and the market. You wanna know how much a certain meteorite is
worth? However much someone will pay for it. Obviously, if there's a high
demand and limited supply then the price is going to be higher. Instead of
having arguements about how much this new meteorite (or any other for that
matter) is worth, let's talk about what kind it is.
My 4 cents worth,
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com
www.asteroidmodels.com/personal