[meteorite-list] Winona/Canyon Diablo

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:28 2004

I think that pictures do not tell the entire story.

The Winona Meteorite is primarily silicate with large
areas of oxide where metal or sulfides or such must
have been present.

On the exterior it looks almost exactly like Meteor
Crater oxide.

And this has made me, and other wonder if in fact the
Winona Meteorite is related to the meteorite that made
Meteor Crater.

I think that it is.

ALS0, I think that all of that iron shale that has over
the years been tossed as worthless, should be looked at
again.

Any piece that looks different is some way from the
"normal" iron shale should be cut and examined--
especially if it has the distinct green nickel oxide
stains that Winona has.

(And having seen countless pieces of Meteor Crater iron
oxide- I remember having seen pieces with green
stains-- they are rare compared to the much more common
types of iron shale)

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey
IMCA #4470

On Tue, 12 March 2002, "Matson, Robert" wrote

> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for the link to the Winona picture. That is
one
> ugly-looking piece of shale! Amazing that it could
even be
> classified (with its own unique type, no less)...
Makes
> Nantan look like it fell yesterday! ;-)
>
> Best,
> Rob

loosely bound, just barely
> overcoming the force of gravity...now apply the term
weathered to it and you
> have Winona. Don't believe me, have a look at this
pic.