[meteorite-list] Digital Photography

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:28 2004

Hi, Martin and List,

    Translating digital pixels to film resolution is complicated. The highest
resolution 35mm format lens commercially available, the Carl Zeiss T* Planar,
has a resolution of 63 lines per mm when tested on a standard film resolution
card. Since resolving a "line" needs a theoretical minimum of two pixels, that
would correspond to a digital resolution of 3024 x 4536, or about 13.7 million
pixels, to equal the 35mm film format (24mm x 36mm). That is only the
theoretical minimum, however. In practice, it might take more than 17 million
pixels.
    The five megapixel digital camera is roughly equivalent to having a film
camera that uses an imaginary 20mm format (14mm x 21mm), if there were such a
thing. Sounds a lot like the current APS format to me.
    On the other hand, Ansel Adams' 8 x 10 sheet film cameras produced images
that translate to a minimum digital resolution of 12,600 x 16,000 or about 200
million pixels. I suspect it will be a long time before any direct digital
device matches that!
    There are vast difference in the way grains of photosensitive chemicals
respond to light as compared to the way the bins of a CCD respond, which means
that people will undoubtedly continue to argue about which is "better" long
after the two media have achieved parity of theoretical resolution.
    Most modern monitors have a 0.25mm dot pitch which corresponds to slightly
more than 100 dpi. Even an older 0.28mm dot pitch monitor is 91 dpi. Both image
scales are beyond the power of the best human eye to "resolve" into individual
pixels.
    Truly high quality monitors (starting at around $600 to $800) offer a
control over color rendition that vastly exceeds that of any film technology,
with control of color temperature in one-degree increments and 48-bit cards
provide adjustments in luminosity, saturation and hue up to 600 times finer in
scale than any film or paper offers.
    Virtually all commercial photography, from the medium-grade "pro" up to the
top of the field, combines the two technologies. Images are shot on film (for
the highest resolution) and then digitized and manipulated (for the greatest
control of outcome) for production. Medium format film (120) in modern emulsions
and commercially digitized can easily create an image with more than 200 million
pixels to work with.
    Finding another Ansel Adams is harder, though...

Sterling Webb