[meteorite-list] Re: Weathervane Meteorite Found

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:29 2004

Mr. Nowak,

By all means keep us posted on the results of tests conducted on these
"meteorites." However, please do not take offense when I say that I'll not
be holding my breath.

It really strains credibility that _two_ meteorites were incorporated into
one construction project. Especially after we've recently seen several
meteor-wrongs confidently claimed to be genuine. I'm thinking of the town
with the antigravity cave, escaped gorillas, and nudist colony (What was
the name again? It doesn't matter). Also Ms. Polacco's famous
meteor-wrong book which she so confidently defends with threats of lawsuits
(and she's also from Michigan).

It occurs to me that local "meteorite" folklore might make a worthy topic
for an article in a periodical. Meteorite claims created purely for the
purpose of scamming someone wouldn't be part of it. Only stories truly
believed by local residents but which are false. Some title like "The
Greatest Meteorites that Never Lived" perhaps.

Still, it would be quite cool if this story were to be true.

>This time while searching via the net for meteorite
>recovery we found a iron meteorite-type unknown.

[snip]
>The giant stone-map today is part of only one of the
>five fireplaces in the Weathervane Inn. Another piece
>in the fireplace is a meteorite of iron. It fell years
>ago over Michigan and was first discovered by Indians.
>A second meteorite decorates the Inn's signpost
>outside.

Bob Martino Can you really name a star?
                                   http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/
"I look up to the heavens