[meteorite-list] deformed etch pattern

From: capricorn89 <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:29 2004

Hi Bernd,

You might be interested in examining CD16 on my website.
http://home.earthlink.net/~capricorn89/rim.htm
Be sure to click for a full screen image. It is what I call a near rim. It
was found due west, at the bottom of the outer talus from the rim, about
12-15 inches deep, so probably tumbled some distance. Found in a region
which was unusually moist. The crust was like a rustball, but very shallow,
and when cleaned, the interior WILL NOT RUST. This is an ultra-thin slice.
It also was almost impossibly hard to cut. On close examination you will
note slippage plains, and what appears to be several lamella crossing an
intrusive vein, they are, in fact, not related. This is the most unusual CD
I have cut, although I have seen this sort of things among research
specimens, but never any commercially available.

By the way, I had permission to hunt. This was back when I was a student in
Meteoritics under Dr. Leonard at UCLA.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hartman
www.meteorite1.com (meteorites)