[meteorite-list] Deformed Gibeon patterns

From: capricorn89 <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:30 2004

Bernd wrote: <<As for this wedge-shape piece with no pattern at all, I can
only guess
 that it is a severely heated, melted, and recrystallized inclusion or it
 might be a plessitic field...I have been waiting here for someone like Eric
or
 Ron to jump in.>>

I don't offer an explanation. However, I have seen this often before. Many
years ago, Ron Oriti ( a meteorite collector and once head-guide at the
Griffith Observatory) purchased a Gibeon from, of all places, a rock shop in
Hollywood, California. I forget the weight but it was probably around 500
kilos. He sliced it like a loaf of bread, rendering slices perhaps 12-18
inches across. (I forget exactly as it was 30 years ago or more.) It was
not uncommon to see a discontinuity where apparently crystallization
proceeded from different regions with the Widmanstätten patterns oriented
differently, and approached an interface between them. Its not so much a
wedge, but rather a zone between the two areas where there is no pattern,
and this zone can be several cm. wide. As I have never possessed one of
these of my own (Oriti would never sell his old friend one as he wanted more
money than I could afford!) I couldn't pursue the interesting structuring
question. I however, have seen several of these slices, and I understand
that he still has a number left.

This is the best I can offer on this.

Ron Hartman