[meteorite-list] Your opinion, please...

From: Rob and Colleen <iguana_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:30 2004

--------------5649A346D22BEA7AC1516F33

Ken and all-
John read my mind but I am leaning more toward hematite. A guy sent me
kilos of this stuff a while back and some have very convincing shapes.
As John indicated, the "slightly magnetic" property is the real
meteorwrong givaway. If it looks like a fresh iron meteorite and it's
only "slightly magnetic"...put it on the other shelf. Still worth
keeping in my opinion and what a great addition to your page.
--
Rob Wesel
--------------
John Gwilliam wrote:
>  The fact that she says it is slightly magnetic rules out the
> possibility of it containing an appreciable amount of iron.
>
> My guess is hematite or magnitite.  A streak test would tell which one
> it is.
>
> John
>

> At 01:02 PM 3/19/02 -0500, magellon_at_earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> An eBayer saw my meteorwrong page and asked my opinion of the
>> following.
>> I discreetly bow to those more experienced: ( the last two picts are
>> small, sorry)
>>  Top
>>  Bottom
>>  Side
>>
>> Here is her story,
>> "I picked this up in country New South Wales in a National Park
>> Wilderness area. It is unlike any surrounding rocks or any that I
>> have seen in that district. I have done quite a bit of fossicking
>> for sapphires & rubies and seen nothing like this. The area is
>> mostly volcanic basalt overlying granidiorite and some granitic
>> areas. This may be terrestrial iron, but if so, it perhaps may have
>> become airborne from the volcano?, as it is oriented and has a
>> rollover lip. It is heavier than other rocks of similar size, but
>> not considerably so, (125 gms), and it is slightly magnetic, but not
>> considerably so. Size is 2.5" x 1.5" x 1". Incidentally, there is no
>> industry within several hundred kilometres, and no railway line, so
>> it would not be smelter ore or slag."
>>
>> I will pass on to her you expert observations.
>> Thanks,
>> Ken Newton
>
>  John Gwilliam MeteoritesPO Box 26854Tempe  AZ
> 85285http://www.meteoriteimpact.com
--------------5649A346D22BEA7AC1516F33
<HTML>
Ken and all-
<BR>John read my mind but I am leaning more toward hematite. A guy sent
me kilos of this stuff a while back and some have very convincing shapes.
As John indicated, the "slightly magnetic" property is the real meteorwrong
givaway. If it looks like a fresh iron meteorite and it's only "slightly
magnetic"...put it on the <I>other</I> shelf. Still worth keeping in my
opinion and what a great addition to your page.
<BR>--
<BR>Rob Wesel
<BR>--------------
<BR>We are the music makers...and we are the dreamers of the dreams.
<BR>Willy Wonka, 1971
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<P>John Gwilliam wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;The fact that she says it is slightly magnetic
rules out the possibility of it containing an appreciable amount of iron.
<P>My guess is hematite or magnitite.&nbsp; A streak test would tell which
one it is.
<P>John
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE type=cite cite>An eBayer saw my meteorwrong page and asked
my opinion of the following.
<BR>I discreetly bow to those more experienced: ( the last two picts are
small, sorry)
<BR>&nbsp;<A HREF="http://www.bay-town.com/members/magellon/misc/aussi1.jpg">Top</A>
<BR>&nbsp;<A HREF="http://www.bay-town.com/members/magellon/misc/aussi2.jpg">Bottom</A>
<BR>&nbsp;<A HREF="http://www.bay-town.com/members/magellon/misc/aussi3.jpg">Side</A>
<P>Here is her story,
<BR>"I picked this up in country New South Wales in a National Park Wilderness
area. It is unlike any surrounding rocks or any that I have seen in that
district. I have done quite a bit of fossicking for sapphires &amp; rubies
and seen nothing like this. The area is mostly volcanic basalt overlying
granidiorite and some granitic areas. This may be terrestrial iron, but
if so, it perhaps may have become airborne from the volcano?, as it is
oriented and has a rollover lip. It is heavier than other rocks of similar
size, but not considerably so, (125 gms), and it is slightly magnetic,
but not considerably so. Size is 2.5" x 1.5" x 1". Incidentally, there
is no industry within several hundred kilometres, and no railway line,
so it would not be smelter ore or slag."
<P>I will pass on to her you expert observations.
<BR>Thanks,
<BR>Ken Newton
<BR>#9632</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;John Gwilliam MeteoritesPO Box 26854Tempe&nbsp; AZ&nbsp; 85285<A HREF="http://www.meteoriteimpact.com/" EUDORA="AUTOURL">http://www.meteoriteimpact.com</A></BLOCKQUOTE>