[meteorite-list] Re: Collection Number Assistance

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:31 2004

Rob posted:

>I recently acquired a lovely 43 gram oriented Holbrook and found by
>surprise that it was also numbered . . . I am at a loss as to the red numbering "586"
>pictured in the photo.

>http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/ra/rancor/holbrook.jpg

Dear Rob:

I'm sure you'll be very pleased to learn that the red number "586" on your Holbrook is an old catalog number from the American Museum of Natural History (New York), so your piece has a great historic provenance: Foote and AMNH.

It was actually Allan Lang who identified that for you -- not me -- I asked him about it, as he's quite the authority on collection numbers and has helped me ID other rarities in the past. I'd say you did very well acquiring that piece!

Regards,

Geoff N.