[meteorite-list] Re: Hmmmmmmmm

From: magellon_at_earthlink.net <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:31 2004

--------------38E09CF3C67DFAF922382801

Greg,
Both bottom picts indicate a great deal of pitting. Unfortunately, I would say not a meteorite. Perhaps others on the list will venture to comment.
 Newly found By Novice Over 8 lb.AZ/Nev Meteor

Best,
Ken Newton

Greg Redfern wrote:

> Hi Ken and List,
>
> If you have time check out this eBay auction Item # 1085374738, 1st page,
> "Newly Found by Novice 8# meteorite from NV/AZ", continuing:
>
> "Sorry but I am not a person who deals in this type of commodity. I just
> happned to find it and was suprised at the weight of the rock and decided to
> keep it and found out through investigation and the opinion of two colleage
> geologists that it was a meteorite. It is very magnetic and measures about
> six inches across and about 3 1/2" tall. I was told to have a piece sliced
> off for further study at UCLA but decided that I would try to sell it whole
> and leave that part of the study to the new owner. As I stated I have the
> opinion of two geogoligists, but it would have to be given a more detailed
> study to know for sure. I am hoping someone will know exactly what it is and
> from where it came from. Please e-mail if you need any aditional information
> or pictures..thanks for considering my auction. E-mail address
> cutsing_at_citlink.net This is a five day auction."
>
> It doesn't look like a meteorite in some of the pix, especially the one
> with a molten layer look.
>
> Sincerely,
> Greg Redfern
> IMCA #5781
> www.meteoritecollectors.org

--------------38E09CF3C67DFAF922382801

Greg,
I would say not a meteorite.&nbsp; Perhaps others on the list will venture
to comment.
found By Novice Over 8 lb.AZ/Nev Meteor</a>
1st page,
commodity. I just
colleage
about