[meteorite-list] Wabar

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:31 2004

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, PolandMET.com wrote:

> Hey.
> I need informations about Wabar tectites/impactites ???
> What is this exactly?

Wabar tektites, or Wabar "pearls" as they are usually known, are small
beads of glass from the Wabar meteorite impact. I own one that is glassy
black, about the size of my little fingernail, and shaped roughly like a
teardrop. Nomads and desert travellers used to pick them up as souvenirs,
thinking they really were pearls; it was centuries before they were
recognized as the byproduct of meteorite impact. The shifting sands of
the desert have largely covered over the original crater now, and years of
being picked over have greatly reduced the number of "pearls" to be easily
found, although some still come out of the area. I got mine from Anne at
Impactika, she may still have some, or pictures on her website.

Tracy Latimer