[meteorite-list] Wabar

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:32 2004

--part1_b2.895f8d7.29cd56b1_boundary

In a message dated 3/22/2002 1:53:02 PM Mountain Standard Time,
tracyl_at_lib.state.hi.us writes:

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, PolandMET.com wrote:
>
> > Hey.
> > I need informations about Wabar tectites/impactites ???
> > What is this exactly?
> >
> Wabar tektites, or Wabar "pearls" as they are usually known, are small
> beads of glass from the Wabar meteorite impact. I own one that is glassy
> black, about the size of my little fingernail, and shaped roughly like a
> teardrop. Nomads and desert travellers used to pick them up as souvenirs,
> thinking they really were pearls; it was centuries before they were
> recognized as the byproduct of meteorite impact. The shifting sands of
> the desert have largely covered over the original crater now, and years of
> being picked over have greatly reduced the number of "pearls" to be easily
> found, although some still come out of the area. I got mine from Anne at
> Impactika, she may still have some, or pictures on her website.

Tracy, and Bernd (of course!) are right on all counts.
Including the fact that they are getting very hard to get, and that I still
have some on my website. In fact I just added a few today, including a
strange one looking like a head, maybe a bird's head!
             www.impactika.com/impactglass/IG-wabar.html

Thanks Tracy and Bernd.

Anne Black
IMCA #2356