[meteorite-list] meteorite conservation in coastal areas

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:32 2004

On Fri, 22 March 2002, almitt wrote

> Hi Dennis and all,
>
> Besides the golden rod (which I recommend highly) is
to have a case with small, low
> wattage light bulb or bulbs. This keeps the
temperature constant and seems to drive
> away the moisture. We have very high humidity here
most of the year but I have had
> very good luck with my meteorites, including problem
ones like Brenham and Brahin
> using that method. You have to be careful about not
having too much light on the
> meteorites, though florescent lighting is far more
harsh on them and about everything
> else if used constantly. You are after the heat
coming from the bulb more so than the
> light source. This doesn't have be very high to drive
out moisture and keep a steady
> temperature. The bulb can be shielded so there is no
direct lighting on the specimens.
> This also allows for specimens to be on display while
being preserved.

> --AL

Having thought about this problem for a long time.
Perhaps the easiest way is to get a large aquarium, and
make a "bleacher" stand inside for the specimens. Then
have a glass lid (1/2" plate) with a good rubber seal
all the way around it. Put dessicant in the aquarium,
and a cigar humidor meter in; set the lid on the top,
and its weight should make the seal airtight (or clamps
can be made to secure it down),

Put the lighting on top of the glass, and then watch
the humidor meter go down. But if it remains steady,
then the top seal is not complete and must be examined
to find out where the leaks are.

A simple gray soft vynl (not foam) weatherstrip should
work. And this can be silicone cemented to the top
plate of the lid of the aquarium. It would work best
if there was no lid hardware on the aquarium edge that
way the weatherstrip could be secured to that. And if
set level enough and sealed it should seal completely
when the top glass is set on it. Since this weather
strip comes in straight lengths, the ends would have to
be glued together so that the seal is not broken there
allowing air and moisture into the case.

Steve Schoner