[meteorite-list] Sand Dunes and Meteorites

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:33 2004

A number of people (most of them are on this List)
have discussed with me their interest in utilizing hot
air balloons and ultra-lights, in their efforts at
meteorite recovery, over broad areas of sand dunes
here in Southern California. Although I'm not very
optimistic about their prospects in sand dune fields,
I wouldn't want to discourage their efforts. After
all, the area between sand dunes can be considered a
"blow-out" area. And besides, Michael Cottingham
found his Kermit stones in a Texas dune field.

The locality that most of these individuals have
selected as being the most promising/pristine, is the
Algodones Dunes in Imperial County. But just today,
the LA Times ran an article announcing that this very
Dune Field will be "under consideration for opening up
49,000 acres to the general public" (meaning, to
off-road vehicular traffic).
More details here:

U.S. Seeks to Reopen Area to Off-Roaders -
Desert Plan would overturn Clinton decision that
curbed use of sand dunes.

<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-000022361mar28.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dcalifornia>

This post serves as a "heads-up" to those individuals
that were interested in surveying this "pristine" area
from the air, that their time may be running out!
On the other hand, they may have the opportunity to
canvass the area by dune buggy, but they better plan
on getting there early. Some weekends have as many as
200,000 ORVs flying over the crests of these dunes
from every direction in the "general use (OHV) area".
But plans are to only allow entry to 500 vehicles per
weekend (in the former wilderness area).

Here's wishing you all good luck, but I'll be sticking
to the firmer, flatter terrain.
:-) Bob V.