[meteorite-list] Sand Dunes and Meteorites

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:33 2004

--------------050007020108020403000603

Dear All,
I have researched ultralight usage here in WY and at our high altitude
(6,500-8,000' in the dunes), the time when vital lift is favorable is
during occurrences of higher humidity like in the early morning and
evening. Then, there are days like yesterday when our winds here were
over 50 all day..plenty of lift!

I have a small airplane lined up to video tape areas to do future ground
searches. Air search benefit will be to identify concentrations of
parabolic dunes, and concentrations of playa lakes (especially near
roads) to cover on the ground.
With high wind possibilities and attaining lift in a rarefied
atmosphere, I have bypassed ultra lights here. Our local balloonists
here also comment on no control of speed or direction and by the time
they get out to the "good" areas, they are headed for the ground to shut
down, or are headed for Nebraska.
Balloons take a group to support them and don't carry many.
A motor bike, or a four wheeler would be more practicle...but don't rule
out the good old horse.
Ranchers and herders have used ultralights with some and not some
success here for 20 years. Maybe a helicopter is the answer....Yesterday
a large ski boat kite and a pickup truck would have worked.
Wax wings,
Dave F.

Tom wrote:

>I have seen Bob Hagg doing with his ultralight to look for meteorites, it
>was on TV but cant remember what was the progam called.
>
>Tom Perry
>

>>I don't think air balloons would have much success, as they
>>cannot be steered. Without directional control, an appropriate
>>search pattern cannot be executed. However, an ultralight with a long
>>wingspan on the other hand might work if the airspeed were
>>slow enough to allow detailed ground observation.
>>I would be curious about its usefulness if anyone does try using
>>an ultralight.
>>Tom Kilcrease

<head>
</head>
Dear All,<br>
I have researched ultralight &nbsp;usage here in WY and at our high altitude (6,500-8,000'
in the dunes), the time when &nbsp;vital lift is favorable is during occurrences
of higher humidity like in the early morning and evening. &nbsp;Then, there are
days like yesterday when our winds here were over 50 all day..plenty of lift!<br>
I have a small airplane lined up to video tape areas to do future ground
searches. &nbsp;Air search benefit will be to identify concentrations of parabolic
dunes, and&nbsp; concentrations of playa lakes (especially near roads) to cover
on the ground.<br>
With high wind possibilities and attaining lift in a rarefied atmosphere,
&nbsp;I &nbsp;have bypassed ultra lights here. &nbsp;Our local balloonists here also comment
on no control of speed or direction and by the time they get out to the "good"
areas, they are headed for the ground to shut down, or are headed for Nebraska.<br>
Balloons take a group to support them and don't carry many. &nbsp;<br>
A motor bike, or a four wheeler would be more practicle...but don't rule
out the good old horse.<br>
Ranchers and herders have used ultralights with some and not some success
here for 20 years. Maybe a helicopter is the answer....Yesterday a large
ski boat kite and a pickup truck would have worked.<br>
Wax wings,<br>
Dave F.<br>
Tom wrote:<br>