[meteorite-list] Best Easter Fishes

From: Rhett Bourland <rbourlan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:33 2004

<<Second, are there any terrestrial rocks that resemble pallasites, or is
the mix of crystal and iron strictly a meteoric phenomenon?>>
I can't answer this question but I know there's a type of rock called San
Benadinoite (or something close to that) that somewhat resembles chondrites.
Its been a couple years or so since I've seen any (one of my friend's
grandfathers is an old rock hound and he had some) but from what I can
remember there are blue colored spherules set in a grey fine grained matrix.
It almost looked like a phsychodelic colored chondrite with sparse, slightly
larger than normal chondrules. I wish I could tell you more but its been a
long time since I've seen any and I was just getting into meteoritics (and
rocks in general for that matter) at the time so I didn't really know what
types of observations to make. If I remember correctly the only place on
earth you can find it is in some cave out in California.
Weird stuff indeed!
Rhett Bourland
www.asteroidmodels.com
www.asteroidmodels.com/personal