[meteorite-list] I'm new!

From: marksmethurst <marksmethurst_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:02:34 2004

Hello everyone!

I'm new to your list. I had contacted a few meteorite dealers that
appear on this list and they recommended that I join the list and post
my request.

What I require are chemically reduced CV3 meteorites because these are
the most primative type and closely represent the beginnings of our
solar system. I'm sorry that my requirements are specific.
I require 3-4 Calcium Aluminum Inclusions (CAI's) from this type of CV3
meteorites. The reduced CV3's that I'm aware of are Vigarano, Arch,
Leoville and Efremovka. I need at least three CAI's not all necessarily
from the same CV3.
I heard that a person named Ron Farrell had access to parts of the
Vigarano, do you know him? do you have his email address? I
know that I can obtain the material I need from museums but that's only
after I am at a university pursuing my PhD project. I have my own
project that I am shopping around to top universities, they are very
interested in my project and are willing to accept me but before that
happens I have to apply for a grant. The grant agencies have told me
that they require a preliminary study which becomes my responsibility
since its my project and therefore I pay out of my own pocket. So, thats
why I've gone this route and can only afford small amounts. (I hope that
Mr. Farrell won't mind parting with a CAI from some of his Vigarano).
The CAI's must be whole/intact, as fresh as possible, between 3-5mm in
diameter (hopefully 5mm), sharp boundaries (so it can be easier to
seperate them from the matrix) and NOT near the surface or fusion crust,
I'm trying to avoid any alteration of the CAI due to weathering from the
earth environment or alteration from when the meteorite burned through
the atmosphere.

Thank you very much, Mark

Mark T. Smethurst
Email: <marksmethurst_at_rogers.com>