[meteorite-list] Mystery Solved!

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:46 2004

On Fri, 03 May 2002, Chauncey Walden wrote

> In a story on meteorites in this month's issue of
Rock and Gem, Bob
> Jones says that tektites are from the moon. No
discussion, just the
> statement. There it is in black and white so it must
be right. At least
> he didn't let out the secret that they are petrified
green cheese.
> Chauncey Walden

As I once argued... if even one stretch tektite exists,
then there is absolutely no way these objects could
have come from the moon.

There is no mechanism by which such could possibly
survive in that form after having entered the earth's
atmosphere at the requisite velocity of 7+ miles
per/sec after having fallen the distance from the moon
to earth.

The cinch is that there are not just one such stretch
tektites-- but many.

Steve Schoner, American Meteorite Survey.