[meteorite-list] Widmanstattan pattern

From: wrecks463 <wrecks463_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:48 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C1FAC9.6801BF40

Hello People,

  I have a few questions on etching meteorites.

   Is there a temperature at which the Widmanstattan pattern is ruined? =
If it turns blue does this mean its pretty much over?=20
   How important is the finish? I've sanded down to a 600 grit. Is this =
enough,or should I polish it to a high luster? I dont have any lapidary =
equiptment and sanding disks only go down to 80 grit.
  How precise does the acid/alcohol ratio have to be? I've tried to =
match the instructions in Mr. Nortons book,but am not satisfied with the =
results. Ive also tried using ferric chloride but it seems worse. I've =
tried starting out with the nitric acid/alcohol mixture and finishing up =
with the ferric chloride and vica versa. Using the ferric chloride as =
the latter makes the pattern jump out but then disappears behind a haze =
of oxidation. All of the systems I try end up with a dark haze of oxide =
that ruins everything. Can anybody help me out here? This is all from a =
30 pound Campo that I sliced down to a 20 pounder. Could these problems =
be just because it is a Campo? There never was much rust on it to begin =
with,so I dont know. Although the 20 pounder makes a great door stop I =
need to figure out what to do with these slices.My way isn't working.
  Any helpfull tips would be greatly appreicieated.

      Thanks in advance,
                      Rex

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C1FAC9.6801BF40

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello People,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; I have a few questions on =
etching=20
meteorites.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; &nbsp;Is there a temperature at =
which the=20
Widmanstattan pattern is ruined? &nbsp;If it turns blue does this mean =
its=20
pretty much over? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; How important is the =
finish? I've=20
sanded down to a 600 grit. Is this enough,or should I polish it to a =
high=20
luster? I dont have any lapidary equiptment and sanding disks only go =
down to 80=20
grit.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; How precise does the =
acid/alcohol ratio have=20
to be? I've tried to match the instructions in Mr. Nortons book,but am =
not=20
satisfied with the results. Ive also tried using ferric chloride but it =
seems=20
worse. I've tried starting out with the&nbsp;nitric acid/alcohol mixture =
and=20
finishing up with the ferric chloride and vica versa. Using the ferric =
chloride=20
as the latter makes the pattern jump out but then disappears behind a =
haze of=20
oxidation. All of the systems I try end up with a dark haze of oxide =
that ruins=20
everything. Can anybody help me out here? This is all from a 30 pound =
Campo that=20
I sliced down to a 20 pounder. Could these problems be just because it =
is a=20
Campo? There never was much rust on it to begin with,so I dont know. =
Although=20
the 20 pounder makes a great door stop I need to figure out what to do =
with=20
these slices.My way isn't working.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; Any helpfull tips would be =
greatly=20
appreicieated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks =
in=20
advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Rex</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C1FAC9.6801BF40--