[meteorite-list] Re: Mercury Meteorite Puzzle

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:50 2004

Hi Ron, all -

Most fascinating to read the comments on the formation
of olivine, particularly as it relates to parent body
size(s).

Pressure seems to be the key. It strikes me that
there would have been at least 2 sources of pressure -
one, gravity; and two, the cooled outer crust pressing
against the still molten core. I imagine one could
write up a nifty computer program relating the two,
dump in the olivine formation pressure, et voila.

Another question crosses my mind on this, which is
whether anyone has ever added together the estimated
masses of each of the known LPBE impactors.

all the best -
ep