[meteorite-list] More details....& thanks! Got had & need help.

From: MuseumStore/NatureSource <musnat_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:51 2004

Hello Al and list,

Yes, this was definitely a wakeup call for me! This seller had a low
feedback rating, and did not appear to be an established meteorite dealer.
As a member of the IMCA, I feel like an idiot for bidding on this auction,
as I look back on it now. But, as they say, hindsight is always 20/20.
Ultimately the responsibility is with the buyer, however I believe that
having good watchdogs out there can only serve to keep fraudulant sellers on
notice that they cannot defraud with immunity!

It's funny because when you think about asking questions about an auction,
you don't think to ask "so, IS this what you described?" At least that's
how I felt before. Maybe too much faith in humanity! : ) I will
definitely be way more picky who I buy from in the future.

As the owner of a retail business for almost 10 years now, another valuable
lesson I've learned is that 99% of the time, it pays to take something back
if a customer is not happy. As long as the item is in "resellable
condition" there is nothing that cannot be refunded in my store. It's just
good customer relations.

Well, I suppose we will all have to become educated in our own way in that
big wide cyberjungle called Ebay. No matter what happens, I have definitely
gained an education because of this fiasco. Even if I am out $188 now, it
may ultimately have saved me from making a more costly mistake in the
future. We have no way of knowing these things. So, I'll take my lumps if
I have to and go on a little wiser.

It is nice to know though, that there are people out there on this list who
are looking out for all of us and trying to keep this
hobby/passion/livelihood the way it should be. They should be applauded.

Thanks so much for taking the time to address this.

Best wishes,
Jeannie Devon
IMCA #9236
The Museum Store/The Nature Source