Fwd: Re: [meteorite-list] Thanks for the Meteorite Times, and questions on Correo

From: Steven Schoner <american_meteorite_survey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:13 2004

--0-1054395698-1036370732=:40430

Note: forwarded message attached.

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
--0-1054395698-1036370732=:40430

Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 16:27:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Steven Schoner <american_meteorite_survey_at_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Thanks for the Meteorite Times, and questions on Correo
To: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_yahoo.com>

--- Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I too want to thank Paul and Jim and everyone
> else
> associated with the online Meteorite Times. I have
> really enjoyed them all, and they are something to
> look forward to each month. Great job everyone, and
> thanks a lot for your time and effort to put these
> together!
>
> I also would like to ask a few questions about
> the
> Correo meteorites. I just read Michael Blood's
> comments on searching there in this month's issue of
> Meteorite Times. The "official" information in the
> Catalog of Meteorites states that "~ 35 specimens
> totaling about 700g were found." Obviously, those
> figures are way out dated now. Would anyone know at
> least ABOUT how many individuals have been found by
> now, and their best guess for the current
> approximate
> TKW? Finally, would anyone be able to list the
> weights
> of, let's say, the top ten largest specimens, and
> how
> big was the main mass? I've been told that someone
> found one that weighed around 900g, if I remember
> correctly. Though I wasn't THAT lucky, I have hunted
> there a few times and I was blessed to find a very
> beautiful 326g individual with nice flow lines,
> regmaglyphs, and even a few spots of black fusion
> crust still remaining. I also bought some from the
> Lawrences there and donated them to a local
> university
> here in Little Rock along with other different
> meteorites to start a local meteorite collection.
>
> Thanks to anyone for any help on this, but I'm
> guessing that if anyone does know the answers to
> these
> questions, it might be Steve Schoner. He was kind
> enough to share some of his knowledge of the
> strewnfield with me when I first contacted him years
> ago. So, a special thanks to you too, Steve for your
> encouragement and help then ( and maybe now ?).
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Robert Woolard

In the years from 1983 to 1991, I collected over 100
stones with weights of 1 gram to 126 grams in the
areas that were state or private property. Total mass
of all was in the neighborhood of 5,000 grams with the
median weight about 40 to 50 grams.

In my strewnfield calculations I surmised that the
larger stones would be found to the northwest on
Laguna Indian lands. I began a search, but
reservation officers saw me out there and threatened
to arrest me if I did not leave.

I left, and that was the end of that story.

The private, and state lands are open to searching
(with permission from the private landowners), and if
lucky one can still perhaps find one or two out there,
but they are now very, very scarce. Of all the stones
that I had found, I have only two left, a beautiful
oriented 46 gram nosecone, and a flat thin and fresh
looking 101 gram piece.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey