[meteorite-list] Asteroid Color Clans

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:13 2004

Hi Bernd and all,

Bernd reported from a S & T article:

"at least 90 percent of asteroids are associated with families."

Which leads to the interesting topic of which meteorites sample which asteroids. So
far we have some good ideas where some of the meteorites are from. Examples are:

HED type meteorites probable sample asteroid Vesta
H type meteorites probably sample asteroid Hebe
L4 type meteorites may sample asteroid Eros
CM2 type meteorites may sample Ceres
Aubrites may sample asteroid 3103 (44 Nysa) are there other klans?
M type asteroids (as asteroid Psyche) some of the iron meteorites types
A type asteroids (as asteroid Asporina) pallasite meteorite types

and of course we have the lunar (is there a classification category yet?) and Mars
(SNC's) meteorites

Can anyone add other links (weak or otherwise??) I know there is a link to the L6's
but can't find that right now.

Mostly borrowed from Harry McSweens book Meteorites and Their Parent Planets.

--AL