[meteorite-list] Asteroid Annefrank

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:13 2004

Hi,

We're going to be releasing a photo of Asteroid Annefrank today.
The asteroid was a bit dimmer than expected. It did not
show up in any of the opnav images on approach (up to 12 hours
away), so we proceeded with the flyby with no course correction.
On the positive side, because it was dimmer, the asteroid
was about twice as big as expected. Upon close approach, the
autonav software on Stardust worked perfectly, and picked out the
asteroid and centered the camera on the asteroid during the encounter.
Not surprisingly, Asteroid Annefrank is an irregularly-shaped
object, and craters are visible in the closer images. There
is an indication Annefrank may be a contact binary. I'll let
you know when the image is available.

Ron Baalke