[meteorite-list] Feldspar minerals in the inclusions in earthly/lunar basalts

From: mafer_at_domafer.com <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:14 2004

Hi Bob
The most probable reason I can think of is that the feldspars that are found
in meteorites are not typically vary large. By that I mean in some fashion,
large enough to see with the unaided eye, while those found in terrestrial
rock are, even when small, distinguishable by the eye. The fizz test is
equally scaled, and so what these labs are most likely saying is that if you
can see it fizz, then the crystals of feldspar are too large and or too
numberous to match the known concentrations of the same in meteoritic
materials. I may be wrong, but this is what I see in meteorites. I'm not a
geo-chemist, just trying for my BA in Geology, but I hope this helps a
little.
Mark