[meteorite-list] Feldspar minerals in the inclusions in earthly/lunar bas...

From: mafer_at_domafer.com <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:15 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0194_01C2875F.E47C7600

Thanks Paul
I'm relatively new to meteoritics, reading all I can thats relevant (our =
school library has some of the classic must read like Todd, Wesson and =
the like and I've read both those and one other (his name eludes me =
right now, but his book was on opaque minerals in meteorites, and to be =
truthful, if I try and remember specifics about what I read, I can't for =
the life of me remember it, but ask a question, and then I seem to =
remember reading this or that on it. Some of what the books cover is =
over my head (geo-chemistry and geo-physics are both items I haven't =
touched) but I do understand microprobe analysis and have done xray =
diffraction and xray spectrometry testing on mineral samples and have =
passed the obligatory courses on petrology and mineralogy so can follow =
ok. And since half the profs at school are either volcanologist types or =
heavy into plate tectonics, I gotten a good dose of volcano science. I =
am having, though, a problem explaining why I figure a glacier or a =
paleo-glacier is a good potential source for meteorites to our resident =
glaciologist. He figures the odds are pretty slim that a meteorite would =
land in a glacier, and if it did, looking through the moraines for it, =
would be a tedious task. My reasoning is, a glacier often cover many =
square miles of surface, and any meteorite landing on it would end up in =
the moraine, and thus, at least, localize my search field, and should be =
a great place to look for micro-meteorites since they account for about =
99% of the space debris that hits the earth annually. So, I've got my =
large rare earth magnets, my metal detector and next year, I'll be =
scouting the glaciers on Mt Baker.
Mark

----- Original Message -----=20