[meteorite-list] Ebay Fraud and "the toughest sheriff in America"

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:17 2004

Hello List,
I know this is "off topic" but since the thread of Ebay fraud was a current
issue, I thought some of you might like to see what one Arizona agency is
doing to combat the problem.

The self proclaimed "toughest sheriff in America", Joe Arpaio, the sheriff
of Maricopa County, is cracking down on fraudulent use of Internet auctions
including Ebay. In the past, Sheriff Joe has received national attention
for some of his unconventional ideas like feeding green balogna and
"nutri-loaf" to his prisoners and issuing them pink underwear.

Link to the entire article below.
News from the Arizona Republic newspaper, November 22, 2002

"Valley shoppers routinely turn to Internet auction sites to buy items
ranging from a diet bake mix to a Disneyland vacation."

"But instead of getting their goods, authorities say, many Net users have
received a lesson in cybercrime. Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio vowed
Thursday to crack down on Valley computer crooks who post items and fail to
deliver."

Read the entire article here:
<http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1122auctionfraud22.html>

If you think this is a good idea, forward the article to your local city
council and law enforcement agencies.

Best,

John Gwilliam