[meteorite-list] Meteorite To Go On Public Display in Melbourne, Australia

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:18 2004

http://www.abc.net.au/gippsland/news/reggip-27nov2002-2.htm

Meteorite to go on public display
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
November 27, 2002

A meteorite dug up by a farmer at Willow Grove, near Moe in
south Gippsland, will be exhibited at the Melbourne Museum next
week.

Dave Buckley found a nine kilogram meteorite and a smaller one
in the 1990s while ploughing a paddock.

The iron meteorite was unique because of its crystalline structure
and nickel content.

Curator in geology Bill Birch says other meteorites have been
found at Oberon Bay and Bendoc.

"The Bendoc one, we'd love to have that one on display - it's one
of the oldest ones, it was found in a creek-bed in the late 1890s
and it ended up in the NSW Department of Mines, but it's been
lost," he said.

"We have sort of put out search warrants for it, but it may well
have been something that because it was falling to bits, it may
well have been thrown out."