[meteorite-list] TEKTITES VS. TEARS

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:53 2004

Hello All,

Here's a new California locality - Antelope Valley
On the flanks of the foothills, just south of the
aqueduct and within sight of the Neenach (L6) site.

Here are some URLs:

<http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/av-ranch/obsidian.htm>

<http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/av-ranch/obsdian2.jpg>

A couple of years ago, a rancher contracted our
Meteorite-Recovery Team to search his property.
Although no meteorites were recovered, we did find
some 80 year old iron artifacts, some stone
(paleo-Indian) artifacts, and a new locality for
"apache tears" obsidian.
[Not likely these would be confused as being
tektites.]

Team member Randy Duncan went on to find a new
locality (in Owens Valley) for an "apache tears"
variety of obsidian that "looked just like tektites".

Sorry, but I don't have any images of those stones.

Bob V.

[meteorite-list] TEKTITES VS. TEARS
Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:00:35 -0700

Hi All,

On the subject of Apache tears, Anne wrote:

> There are many sites in the West for apache tears,
> and I have some from at least half a dozen places,
> some in Utah, Nevada, and of course from Colorado.

You can add California to the list of apache tears
locations -- I found a couple at Broadwell Dry Lake
north of I-40 a couple years back...
They definitely would never be confused for tektites.
--Rob
--------------- End of Original Message --------------