[meteorite-list] Re: picture taking technique?

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:54 2004

--part1_17b.f944eb4.2acbcdee_boundary

In a message dated 10/1/2002 12:12:21 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
geoking_at_notkin.net writes:

> Michael posted:
>
> >I have seen some AMAZING stuff done with a Nikon. I have also
> >heard they go through batteries like a hot knife through butter
>
> Dear Michael and List:
>
> The Nikon digital cameras do burn batteries quickly if you leave the
> LCD viewer on (you can choose to shoot without it). If you use
> regular store-bought batteries, you will get fed up very quickly and
> spend a lot of money.

Yes it does go through batteries, but not all that bad. When I use it at home
to take pictures of meteorites, I use the AC adapter, so it can be on for
hours, and the close-up zoom works great.

Last year I really gave my Nikon Coolpix a good test: 2 weeks in Uzbekistan.
I took 2 sets of the new AA batteries for electronic equipment (with a blue
stripe). I took well over 300 pictures, and every evening I looked at them on
the viewer and deleted the bad ones. I used the flash, everything, and when I
got home the second set was still going strong.
Not bad for regular, but high-end batteries!

When it comes to cameras, I agree with Geoff, I have always used Nikons, I
still have the huge heavy SLR I used before, clanky but effective.

Anne Black
IMCA #2356
www.IMPACTIKA.com
e-mail: IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com