[meteorite-list] Tafassasset classification

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:54 2004

--part1_135.155a53a1.2acd2c67_boundary

In a message dated 10/2/2002 9:24:36 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
j.divelbiss_at_worldnet.att.net writes:

> I understand the description of the primitive achondrite...including the
> types you mention.
>
> From that statement in Nortons book, they are still chondrites...just
> overdone a bit. What line did they cross to be called achondrites? And how
> does it relate to Tafassasset being also called a CR7?

Hello John, and Members,

What an interesting way to put it: "chondrites, just overdone a bit".
And maybe that is what Tafassasset is. Maybe it is just on the line (if there
is one) or maybe it is the missing link between the achondrites and the
chondrites.
Here is the link to the report from Paris:
             http://www.impactika.com/Tafassasset.pdf

Look at the diagram at the bottom of the first page. See how Tafassasset is
plotted right between the CR chondrites and the Acapulcoites? I am sure the
scientists on the List could explain that in much greater details.
Anyway you look at it, I find it to be a very interesting meteorite, and very
pretty too!

Thanks for asking.

Anne Black
IMCA #2356