[meteorite-list] NWA 1109 Howardite or Eucrite?

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:00 2004

Hello Frank and list,

fcressy wrote:
> The rock is a howardite if it contains greater than 10%
> orthopyroxene and a polymict eucrite if it has less than 10%.

Frank I don't believe this interpretation of the rule is correct. From
what I gather, a polymict eucrite contains more than 90% eucrite
components, but the remaining 10% may consist of anything else,
including a small, less than 10%, component of orthopyroxene, together
with a small, perhaps 5%, component of your dark material along with
accessory minerals.

However, given the specific composition you proposed ...
"hypothetically, if NWA 1109 has an orthopyroxene (diogenite) component
of 8% plus another 5% of chondritic material" ... then I would say it
would be a howardite because it is inconsistent with the definition of a
polymict eucrite or diogenite, which specifies that it must contain
greater than 90% of a single component, and that would be impossible
since 12% is accounted for.

I would also imagine the case could arise where part of a meteorite is a
howardite and part is a polymict eucrite. I would think that the
additional method of distinguishing them apart, zoned versus unzoned
pyroxenes in basaltic clasts, would be helpful in this case.

David