[meteorite-list] [OT] Re: Norton behind the Virus (!?)

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:00 2004

Having worked in the computer industry for almost 16 years I can tell you
that viruses and their spread are the product of 2 things in this order:

1). Computer experts that have nothing better to do then find a way to show
their talent by creating a virus.
2). Malicious individuals that seek to cause havoc for various reasons.

The reason that they are so prolific and spread so easily is that most of
the users in this world are ignorant enough to believe that they will never
be infected. These are the same individuals that fall for telephone scams,
buy the Banjo Minnow, and believe that they can swallow a pill and lose 50
pounds in 6 weeks. These people are found in the dictionary....look under
clueless and victims for pictures.

Anyone that would even begin to believe that a company like
Symantec(Nortons) would deliberately create a virus to sell their product
regularly drink their own bath water and have a family tree that does not
branch.

With the general public walking about so completely clueless it would be a
waste of capital for a company to invest in a R & D program to create
something that already is being made for free and that the mainstream
population is so willing to spread.

There is a moral to all of this....Milk does not come from a jug, crime is
not something that happens to your neighbor and being on the internet
without virus protection is just plain stupid.

Mark M.
Arizona