[meteorite-list] Meteorite show?

From: Steven Schoner <american_meteorite_survey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:01 2004

--- Tom / james Knudson <peregrineflier_at_hotmail.com>
wrote:

<HR>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I was just thinking, it would be fun, if
its not already a "thing" to have a show or a get
together once a year at Meteor Crater. A list
meteorite meet.&nbsp;Or our own show.&nbsp;A chance
for every one to meet and spend some time talking
meteorites. Has this been done?<BR><BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks, Tom</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The proudest member of the I.M.C.A. #6168</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
<a
href='http://g.msn.com/1HM1ENUS/c157??PI=44364'>Click

"Meteor Crater" ?

Why the managers there would consider us a band of
thieves. They do everything as it is to stymie legit
scientific collections regulated by scientific
institutions, (I have a long story to tell in this
regard) so you think that they would allow us private
meteorite collectors to have a "meeting" there?

Just the mere mention of "Nininger" brings a scowl
from the managers-- they consider him a thief, and I
even heard as much said in one tour given by one of
their tour guides-- yet Harvey Nininger did more to
reveal the true nature of the impact than anyone in
his day... after all, his research revealed the
presence of metallic spheroids, the product of the
impactors's vaporization as predicted by Dr. Moulton.

And this was opposed by Barringer for the reason that
he believed that the impactor was still a mining
resource to be had beneath the south rim of the
crater.

There is no meteorite there, and the only "mining"
that occurs is at the visitor center.... the entrance
fees are quite high, you know.

My honest opinion... the crater should have been
declared a National Monument and made part of the Park
Service...

That is my opinion.

(And I am sure that if Nininger were here today, he
would agree).

But as for meeting there, I think the closest they
would allow is at the I-40 offramp on State highway
propterty, but not State land controlled by Bar-T-Bar,
aka Meteor Crater Enterprises (And that includes the
pitiful remains of the old Nininger Museum)

Steve Schoner.
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey