[meteorite-list] Repairing broken meteorites

From: mafer_at_domafer.com <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:02 2004

Hi Bob and list
I'd just like to point out that super glues are"getters", they attract
water at the molecular level and could cause some detereoration to a
meteorite over time, how much and how noticable it would be I can't say,
possibly very small, but from working with pacemakers, I do know that it
attracted enough water to cause failure in the extended studies.
Pacemakers are typically backfilled with dry nitrogen to insure that there
isn't any atmospheric moisture inside the can. But the components
outgassed enough moisture which was accumulated by the superglue (holding
components to circuit board substrate) that it allowed ionic bridges to
form across the lands ehich caused the failures.Mark