[meteorite-list] How To Collect Meteorites Part 2

From: M come Meteorite Meteorites <mcomemeteorite2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:02 2004

Hello all

I collect all type of meteorites, falls, founds,
slices, individuals, micro - for me is no possible buy
a 1 gr. of Chassigny ;-) - and when I find a big piece
of the same meteorite I sale my first piece and I take
a piece + big, if I find another piece + big, I sale
my piece and I take this etc...... The unique material
I no collect is the impact material, I have only
material from Tunguska but no other.
regards

matteo

--- almitt <almitt_at_kconline.com> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> One thing I left out on the last (long message) is a
> thin section is also a good way
> to go. (disclaimer: I sell thin sections and in no
> way am I promoting this here. There
> are other good sources for these but they offer a
> good choice with good surface area
> over very small costly specimens.) Many hard to
> obtain types are possible as well as a
> cost effective way to own a wanted class.
>
> I know many people collect in many different ways. I
> have heard of some only
> collecting pallasites (stony-iron meteorites) and
> who can blame them for their beauty.
> Are there some that collect only mesosiderites??
> Some have micro collections. I myself
> collect by class and always wanting as many classes
> as possible. My restrictions are
> where there are only one or two examples of a class.
> Sometimes a related more
> available class is sufficient to fill in the
> unobtainable gap. In the early days when
> only Antarctic lunar meteorites existed and after
> the Calcalong was found, I seriously
> doubted that I would ever be able to get my hands on
> a lunar class specimen. Not too
> long after this list was formed came the beginning
> of the lunar meteorite rush (keep
> in mind that there is low total weight on the
> lunites). I had even told a customer
> that I wouldn't hold my breath on obtaining a lunar
> in this life time (glad I said it,
> and one time I was very glad to be wrong in my
> assessment). A year or two later many
> people on the list and in collections all over, the
> lunar classes became filled. With
> the NWA and DAG's came many hard to obtain classes.
>
> Though I aim to collect different class types, some
> like collecting only one type
> class or related classes. Some that come to mind are
> aubrites, pallasites, lunars,
> martians (SNC's), Vesta types (HED's, howardites,
> eucrites and diogentites) and
> carbonaceous types. No doubt there are many more and
> some that never have crossed my
> mind as a way to collect. Certainly the ordinary
> classes (and more readily available)
> H's, L's and LL's are a nice class type to collect.
> Iron meteorites are certainly one
> other way to collect and I am sure there are many
> nice iron collections. There are 13
> different classes in the iron meteorite category and
> over 80 ungrouped. Irons would
> represent a harder class to preserve in humid
> environments many of us live but with
> proper care and carefully watching it can be done.
>
> Some collect by state (or country!), wanting as many
> types from the various locations
> in the state or country they are from or the state
> they live in (might not be the same
> state they grew up in :-) State and country
> collecting can be challenging due to the
> years that have gone by and total know weight.
> Specimens use to get eaten up in the
> old days of examination and no doubt many misplace
> or lost. Some collect by Falls only
> [...]

=====
M come Meteorite - Matteo Chinellato
Email: mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Sale Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.com Collection Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.info
MSN Messanger: spacerocks_at_hotmail.com
EBAY.COM:http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/mcomemeteorite_at_excite.it/