[meteorite-list] Newspaper Article, 07-23-1860 NYT Part 1

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:03 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C27A18.E3FCE240

New York Times =20
New York City, NY. =20
Monday, July 23, 1860
Page: 5
THE GREAT METEOR OF FRIDAY NIGHT
The meteor of Friday night which astonished all our citizens who happened=
 to be unhoused at the time was seen, it would appear, far over the count=
ry, and was, in its way, a most astonishing phenomenon. We have had the J=
apanese (?) and the Zouaves. The Great Eastern still abides with us, and =
the Prince of Wales in coming. The foreign and domestic excilements, howe=
ver, were, are, and are to be, of this earth, earthy, or of the sea, naut=
ically. A celestial, or at least a supraterranean visitant was needed, an=
d the meteor came. The rule of parallax, evidently not understood by our =
ordinary street sight-seers, proves, according to the reports from variou=
s distances, North, South, and West, (we have heard nothing yet from ship=
s, East, at sea,) that the globe of fire with the glowing trail of light =
must have been from thirty to forty miles above the surface of our planet=
. That it could not have been much more elevated, the explosion which acc=
ompanied its disappearance would assure us, the atmosphere being rather l=
ess than fifty miles high, and the transmission of sound being of course =
limited to that region. It was seen in Philadelphia at about 9 1/2 o'cloc=
k, say the papers of that city-rose suddenly from the horizon, about the =
size of the full moon, traversed an easterly line, dropping fire in its c=
ourse, like a rocket, till it passed away in the southeast, like a red ba=
ll, about twice the size of the planet Mars. It was seen, under similar c=
ircumstances, at Danville, Penn., at New-Haven, along the whole line of t=
he Hudson River, at Buffalo, Utica, Albany and Troy, also at Newport, Rho=
de Island, and undoubtedly at other places from which we have no report -=
 at each place, appearing to be at no great distance above the spires of =
the churches. Just so the moon, at her full, appears to shine directly ov=
er every street in every city, and over every ship at sea, in those porti=
ons of the earth which she illuminates.
We append a few of the communications we have recieved respecting the ext=
raordinary visitor. The provincial papers in this and adjoining States co=
me to us filed with accounts of the marvel. It is amusing to read of some=
 of the events to come which some of them predict therefrom. The old supe=
rstition of "portents dire," it would seem is not yet quite effete(?).

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C27A18.E3FCE240

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><BR><BR><B><FO=
NT face=3DArial size=3D2> <P>New York Times</FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New=
 Roman"><FONT size=3D3> </FONT></P></FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2> <P=
>New York City, NY. </P></FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"> <P>Monday,=
 </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>July 23, 1860</P> <P>Page: 5</P></B><=
/FONT><FONT size=3D2> <P>THE GREAT METEOR OF FRIDAY NIGHT</P> <P>The mete=
[...]
he earth which she illuminates.</P> <P>We append a few of the communicati=
ons we have recieved respecting the extraordinary visitor. The provincial=
 papers in this and adjoining States come to us filed with accounts of th=
e marvel. It is amusing to read of some of the events to come which some =
of them predict therefrom. The old superstition of "portents dire," it wo=
uld seem is not yet quite effete(?).</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C27A18.E3FCE240--