[meteorite-list] Newspaper Article, 07-30-1860 NYT

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:03 2004

------=_NextPart_001_000A_01C27A19.4BAB8C20

New York Times =20
New York City, NY. =20
Monday, July 30, 1860
Page: 5
THE GREAT METEOR =20
Call for Information at the National Observatory
The great meteor of Friday evening, July 20, was probably seen far out at=
 sea, by ships between the parallels of 35 degree and 40 degree N. All wh=
o observed it are requested to communicate the fact to Lieut. MAURY, Nati=
onal Observatory, Washington, stating as nearly as they can the position =
of the ship, the precise time of night, and describing the path of the me=
teor, its bearings from the observer, and its probable altitude.
OBSERVATIONS AT VARIOUS POINTS
In connection with the above, we publish a few of the many communications=
 which have reach us relative to the appearance of the phenomenon:
ON A NORTH RIVER STEAMBOAT
NIAGARA FALLS, Thurday, July 26, 1860. =20
To the Editor of the New York Times:
As a contribution to knowledge in regard to the meteor of Friday evening,=
 July 20, please accept my account, and let me state that I saw it from t=
he moment of its emergence above the horizon to that of its disappearance=
 in the eastern, and noticed every phase. I was on board the Hudson River=
 steamboat New World, on her passage from Nork York, seated with many oth=
ers on the upper deck, which had no awning or other cover to interrupt th=
e view. It was about 9 1/2 o'clock, and we were just entering the Highlan=
ds, (say lat. 41 degree 18, lon. 73 degree 55',) when the meteor appeared=
. Admitting that the boat was heading due north, which, however, I do not=
 know, then the meteor rose from a point in the western horizon a little =
to the south of west - say 15 or 20 degrees. Coming up vertiically, it pa=
ssed over us a little to the south of the zenith, and descended to the ea=
stern horizon, just aheam of the boat, which would indicate due east if t=
he boat was heading north.
When the meteor first appeared above the crest of the hill on the western=
 shore, it looked like the fireball of a "Roman candle," of the same blui=
sh white color, and great brilliancy, but much enlarged, the nucleus appe=
aring about half as large as a hat, and, in fact, the first idea was very=
 general, that some one on the hill was exhibiting a gigantic Roman candl=
e, That idea was however, soon dispelled by observing its uniform, unreta=
rded rate of motion, and its steady, long-continued movement upward and o=
nward, and it was then evident that its vertical rising was owing to the =
immense distance from which it came, on a path parallel with the earth's =
surface, and from its great height - the effect, in fact, of perspective =
- and so also in regard to its disappearance in the eastern horizon. =20
When about half-way up to the zenith, if left behind it a train of sparks=
 or fragments of a redder color, like sparks of a rocked, but not numerou=
s, the number, however, increasing as the meteor progressed. When near th=
e zenith, but nefore reaching it, say within thirty degrees, the nucleus =
separated into two, not, however, with any appearance of explosion, but r=
ather as if drawn apart by the superior velocity of the anterior portion.=
 The two parts were of about equal size, and each seemed larger in front,=
 the hinder portions being as it were drawn out to a slender tail, behind=
 which, again, were detached sparks, from wich the bright white light of =
the nucleus had departed, leaving the read, rocket-like duller-colored sp=
arks in its stead. As the meteor moved to the east, the white light of ev=
en the nucleus was becoming dimmer, untill this light disappeared entirel=
y, and the red like took its place, and then there was a train in the sky=
, just like that seen after the passage of a rocket.
The distance of the fight towards the east, and the diminished brillancy,=
 made it doubtful if it would reach the eastern horizon, but it did, goin=
g down in a slender thread, or spark of duller light.
The whole time of the passge could not have been less than a minute, beca=
use there was ample time during the flight to form, discuss and after opi=
nions - most people on the deck at first believing it to be a piece of fi=
reworks, intill the unaltered velocity and long continuance induce a chan=
ge of opinion.
W.H.S.
AT SOUTHAMPTON, =20
SOUTHAMPTON, Tuesday, July 21, 1860
To the Editor of the New York Times:
Through the kindness of a friend who observed it I am able to give you an=
 account of the appearence at this locality of the remarkable meteor of F=
riday last. At about 9:50 o'clock it was seen, about 25 degrees high, to =
shoot upwards like a rocket from the constellation of Leo Major, moving i=
n a southeasterly direction. It passed near the northern crown, crossing =
the near meridian a little south of the zenith, thence onward with appare=
ntly less velocity to the southeast, three or four degrees south of Eagle=
, till it disappeared about thirty degrees above the horizon. It was rema=
rkable for brilliant comiscations (?) throughout the course, and when on =
the meridian it assumed the form of a trumpet, or a comet with a narrow t=
ail, the nucleus giving prismatic colors, while th tail was of a yellowis=
h-white. When near the meridian, a second meteor formed from it similar i=
n shape and appearance, which followed through the remainder of its cours=
e. No sound of explosion was heard, and the observer thinks it occpied ab=
outa minute in passing over its circuit. Supposing it have been thirty mi=
les high when it had passed one half the distance from the points of appe=
arance and disappearance, it might have been visible throughout a circle =
of over 900 miles in diameter.
AT SUDBURY, VT
HYDE'S HOTEL Sudbury, Vt. Friday, July 28, 1860
To the Editor of the New York Times
A meteor of great brilliancy passed through our eastern sky this evening =
at about ten minures before 10 o'clock, and as it will probley be reporte=
d from many places, I beg to state its appearence here. It was first perc=
eived, shining with a clear white light, apparently three or four times a=
s large as Venus, in about a W. N.W. direction from the house, and an ele=
vation of, I should think. about 13 degrees above the horizon. Its course=
 was across the west into the south, and a few degrees east of south, whe=
n it disappeared behind the hills. The course was apparently very nearly =
parallel with the horizon, and during the latter half, the color graduall=
y changed to red, and it threw off and left trailing behind it a long gli=
ttering line, a large part of its substance. Its appearance at the time i=
t was last seen may be judged from the fact that several of the boarders =
chancing to see the planet Mars, which was shining brilliantly in the sou=
theast, stood gazing at it from a moment, exclaiming that the meteor was =
standing still.
The motion of the body was apparently quite slow, and the time which it o=
ccupied in passing through its course was, I should judge, from 30 to 40 =
seconds. The persons who saw it with me talk about it being in sight two =
or three minutes; but I think the maximumtime was not greater than I have=
 said. J.H.
AT PERTH AMBOY
SATURDAY, JULY 21, 1860
To the Editor of the New York Times
Thinking it may be of some interest to scientific associations to obtain =
all the information they can relative to such matters, I herewith send yo=
u my observation of the meteor which appeared in the heavens last evening=
. At about 9:15 o'clock, as I was standing in an open grass-plot at Perth=
 Amboy, N.J> I saw the body shoot from the heavens from a point about fif=
ty-five to sixty degrees ( 55 degree 6,' 60 degree) above the Western hor=
izon, and take a course very nearly due East. At first I supposed it a ro=
cket, but seeing no tail, and its having the appearanceof a ball of fire =
about the size of an ordinary orange, I immediately supposed it a meteori=
c body. Almost immediately following my first sight of it, it appeared li=
ke a ball of molten iron, from which small particles became detached and =
followed the course of the main body, but with a lessened rate of speed. =
I should say the apparent speed of the chief mass to be about that of a s=
hooting star, (so-called) It seemed to be not over a quater of a mile hig=
h, and apparently passed through some of the dark clouds in its course, t=
aking a straight direction both in its line from West to East, and with, =
apparently, very litter nearer approach to the each as it passed to the E=
ast. Some tree intervening, I could not follow it further than to a point=
 at an elevation of about forty-degrees about the Eastern horizon. I shou=
ld say that the time occupied in going the distance which it did while I =
saw it was not more than one minute - possibly not so much. Its highest a=
ltitude was wehn directly or nearly north of my position, and was, I soul=
d judge, about sixty-five degrees. Perth Amboy is situated in lat. N. 46 =
degree 31'.

------=_NextPart_001_000A_01C27A19.4BAB8C20

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>New York Times</FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT size=3D3>=
 </FONT></P></FONT><FONT size=3D2> <P>New York City, NY. </P></FONT> <P><=
FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Monday, </FONT><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3D=
"Times New Roman">July 30, 1860</FONT></P> <P>Page: 5</P></B></FONT><FONT=
 face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D2> <P>THE GREAT METEOR </P> <P>Call for =
Information at the National Observatory</P> <P>The great meteor of Friday=
 evening, July 20, was probably seen far out at sea, by ships between the=
 parallels of 35 degree and 40 degree N. All who observed it are requeste=
d to communicate the fact to Lieut. MAURY, National Observatory, Washingt=
on, stating as nearly as they can the position of the ship, the precise t=
ime of night, and describing the path of the meteor, its bearings from th=
e observer, and its probable altitude.</P> <P>OBSERVATIONS AT VARIOUS POI=
NTS</P> <P>In connection with the above, we publish a few of the many com=
munications which have reach us relative to the appearance of the phenome=
non:</P> <P>ON A NORTH RIVER STEAMBOAT</P> <P>NIAGARA FALLS, Thurday, Jul=
y 26, 1860. </P> <P>To the Editor of the New York Times:</P> <P>As a cont=
[...]
as heading north.</P> <P>When the meteor first appeared above the crest o=
f the hill on the western shore, it looked like the fireball of a "Roman =
candle," of the same bluish white color, and great brilliancy, but much e=
nlarged, the nucleus appearing about half as large as a hat, and, in fact=
, the first idea was very general, that some one on the hill was exhibiti=
ng a gigantic Roman candle, That idea was however, soon dispelled by obse=
rving its uniform, unretarded rate of motion, and its steady, long-contin=
ued movement upward and onward, and it was then evident that its vertical=
 rising was owing to the immense distance from which it came, on a path p=
arallel with the earth's surface, and from its great height - the effect,=
 in fact, of perspective - and so also in regard to its disappearance in =
the eastern horizon. </P> <P>When about half-way up to the zenith, if lef=
[...]
 rocket.</P> <P>The distance of the fight towards the east, and the dimin=
ished brillancy, made it doubtful if it would reach the eastern horizon, =
but it did, going down in a slender thread, or spark of duller light.</P>=
 <P>The whole time of the passge could not have been less than a minute, =
because there was ample time during the flight to form, discuss and after=
 opinions - most people on the deck at first believing it to be a piece o=
f fireworks, intill the unaltered velocity and long continuance induce a =
change of opinion.</P> <P>W.H.S.</P> <P>AT SOUTHAMPTON, </P> <P>SOUTHAMPT=
ON, Tuesday, July 21, 1860</P> <P>To the Editor of the New York Times:</P=
> <P>Through the kindness of a friend who observed it I am able to give y=
ou an account of the appearence at this locality of the remarkable meteor=
 of Friday last. At about 9:50 o'clock it was seen, about 25 degrees high=
, to shoot upwards like a rocket from the constellation of Leo Major, mov=
ing in a southeasterly direction. It passed near the northern crown, cros=
sing the near meridian a little south of the zenith, thence onward with a=
pparently less velocity to the southeast, three or four degrees south of =
Eagle, till it disappeared about thirty degrees above the horizon. It was=
 remarkable for brilliant comiscations (?) throughout the course, and whe=
n on the meridian it assumed the form of a trumpet, or a comet with a nar=
row tail, the nucleus giving prismatic colors, while th tail was of a yel=
lowish-white. When near the meridian, a second meteor formed from it simi=
lar in shape and appearance, which followed through the remainder of its =
course. No sound of explosion was heard, and the observer thinks it occpi=
ed abouta minute in passing over its circuit. Supposing it have been thir=
ty miles high when it had passed one half the distance from the points of=
 appearance and disappearance, it might have been visible throughout a ci=
rcle of over 900 miles in diameter.</P> <P>AT SUDBURY, VT</P> <P>HYDE'S H=
OTEL Sudbury, Vt. Friday, July 28, 1860</P> <P>To the Editor of the New Y=
ork Times</P> <P>A meteor of great brilliancy passed through our eastern =
[...]
t the meteor was standing still.</P> <P>The motion of the body was appare=
ntly quite slow, and the time which it occupied in passing through its co=
urse was, I should judge, from 30 to 40 seconds. The persons who saw it w=
ith me talk about it being in sight two or three minutes; but I think the=
 maximumtime was not greater than I have said. J.H.</P> <P>AT PERTH AMBOY=
</P> <P>SATURDAY, JULY 21, 1860</P> <P>To the Editor of the New York Time=
s</P> <P>Thinking it may be of some interest to scientific associations t=
o obtain all the information they can relative to such matters, I herewit=
h send you my observation of the meteor which appeared in the heavens las=
t evening. At about 9:15 o'clock, as I was standing in an open grass-plot=
 at Perth Amboy, N.J&gt; I saw the body shoot from the heavens from a poi=
[...]
 lat. N. 46 degree 31'.</P></FONT><BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_000A_01C27A19.4BAB8C20--