[meteorite-list] Bagdad Arizona Meteorite

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:04 2004

Tom / james Knudson wrote:

> Hello List, Does ant one know any thing about the meteorite
> that was found in Bagdad AZ, like its current location?

Oops, I was too quick :-) Here's part 2:

BUCHWALD V.F. (1975) Handbook of Iron Meteorites
Volume 2, pp. 292-294, excerpts:

History: A mass of 2.2 kg was found in March 1960 by Donald Stout along
Burro Creek, 20 km west of Bagdad, Mohave County. It was acquired by
Arizona State University and was reported in the Meteoritical Bulletin
(# 25, 1962) and by Moore & Tackett (1963). Bunch and Keil (1971)
reported the chromite inclusions to be almost stoichiometric FeCr2O4
with very minor contents of MnO, ZnO, Al2O3, V2O3, TiO2 and MgO;
these oxides totaled about 0.65 weight%.

Collections: Tempe, main mass (1.4 kg) - Copenhagen (38 gr).

giving the impression of an orange having been packed too tightly with
other oranges in a box. Its maximum dimensions are 10.5 x 8.5 x 7 cm,
and the weight as recovered was 2.205 g. Most of the fusion crust has
spalled off due to terrestrial corrosion, but no severe attack has
developed. The meteorite still preserves a smoothly rounded outline,
broken only by two shallow regmaglypts on what was probably the rear
side during atmospheric entry. Avce and Bushman Land are other small
irons with a similar exterior morphology.
He meteorite has been opened with four parallel cuts, yielding two
endpieces and three slices with a total of 240 cm^2 exposed interior.
He etched sections display a medium Widmanstätten structure of straight,
long kamacite lamellae with a width of 1.10±0.10 mm. They also show a
beautiful, oriented sheen, which at high magnification is ssen to be due
to a marked, crosshatched epsilon-structure ... Bagdad is a shock-
hardened medium octahedrite which is related to Kayakent, Augusta
County and Cumpas. Chemically it is a typical group IIIA.

Fig 296: Section through the mass distinctly showing the
heat-affected alpha 2 zone. Internal fissures along the
Widmannstätten grain boundaries are also visible.

MOORE C.B. and TACKETT S.L. (1963) The Bagdad, Arizona, iron
meteorite (Journal of the Arizona Academy of Scienes 2, p. 191).

BUNCH T.E. and KEIL K. (1971) Chromite and ilmenite in non-
chondritic meteorites (American Mineralogist 56, pp. 146-157).

Cheers,

Bernd